Používáním těchto stránek souhlasíte s ukládáním souborů cookies na vašem zařízení.

Scraps from history

The 13th and 14th century, golden age of Třeboň, The heyday under the reign of the Schwarzenbergs and more- this is history of Town Třeboň.

Scraps from history
11.3.2019 1817x History

Promising beginnings under the white rose

  • Mid-13th century In a document from the middle of the13th century, not specifically dated, then the owner of Třeboň, Vítek of Klokoty (1220–1265) of the house of Vítek, confirms donation of half of the village of Presnik to the Cistercian Monastery in Austrian Zwettel. One of the witnesses of the Latin document was plebanus de Vitknov – the parson from Vitknov, later called Třeboň.
  • Latter half of the 13th century Vítek´s descendants Pelhřim and Ojíř get Třeboň back into the ownership of the so called Landštejn-Třeboň branch of the House of Vítek. They held Třeboň for another 100 years.
  • End of the 13th century Třeboň grows into a fenced town with its own parish church of St. Giles and a small castle in the possession of the House of Landštejn.
  • 1341 Třeboň is described for the first time as a town with a reeve and local government.

The heyday under the Lords of the Rose, the golden age of Třeboň (coat of arms of the House of Rosenberg)

  • After 1366 The town is bought by the Rosenberg brothers Petr, Jošt, Oldřich and Jan.
  • 1367 The Rosenbergs found the Augustinian Monastery and on the site of the church build a Gothic church (finished 1390)
  • 1376 Petr and Jan of Rosenberg grant the town the rights of royal towns. Jan rebuilds the fort into a small castle.
  • 1379 The first mention of brewing in Třeboň is given in urban documents. In addition to 10 malt houses there are also 75 houses within the town walls, two spa houses and eight meat shops recorded.
  • 1423, 1425 During the Hussite wars Třeboň is twice unsuccessfully besieged by the Hussites.
  • end of the 15th / the 16th century Under the reign of Peter IV. of Rosenberg, land hetman and viceroy, the fame and prestige of the family is restored and a period of unprecedented prosperity and economic development of the town and its surroundings begins. Besides mining, fish pond building comes into prominence. Štěpánek Netolický establishes the glory of the local fish pond building. He builds numerous fish ponds which he connects with an artificial canal – the Golden Canal (Zlatá stoka) and thus creates an unparalleled fish pond network.
  • 1480 King Vladislav II. issues the right of the annual seven-day market and a regulation on the duty of carts travelling from Budějovice and Krumlov to Jindřichův Hradec to travel via Třeboň. Another source of income for the town was the sale of salt and beer brewing.
  • From the beginning of the 16th century The castle was gradually rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau.
  • 1525–1527 Under the supervision of Štěpánek Netolický, new town fortifications are built, new castle walls are constructed and the gates are renewed.
  • 1562 A fire in the whole town starts the unification of the building style of burgher houses and redevelopment of the town into a Renaissance beauty. A new town hall with tower will be built at the place of the fire.
  • Latter half of the 16th century Under the reign of Vilém of Rosenberg (1535–1592) the expansion of the Rosenberg business continues. As the Burgrave of Prague Castle, Vilém was the second most powerful man after the King. Under the supervision of Antonio Ericer, the Třeboň castle is rebuilt, all the town´s rights and privileges are confirmed, a fixed market order is given, the town gates are rebuilt, fortifications renovated, and the town hall built. The Regent of the Rosenberg domain Jakub Krčín of Jelčany and Sedlčany founds numerous mills, breweries and sheep folds, as well as more fish ponds. Next to the fortifications of Třeboň, he builds the Svět fish pond and near the town the largest Czech fish pond Rožmberk.
  • 1601–1611 Vilém´s brother Petr Vok of Rosenberg (1539-1611) changes his seat from Krumlov to Třeboň in 1602 and makes it the residential town of the Rosenberg domain. His abundant library and the old family archives are also relocated here. When in 1611 the last Rosenberg dies childless, the whole glorious House of Rosenberg dies out with him. The Golden Age, the most famous era of Třeboň is finished...

Bad war times

  • After 1611 In accordance with an inheritance contract, Třeboň is given to the lords of Švamberk.
  • 1618–1622 The Švamberks under the Estates rebellion stand for the Czech Estates, therefore, their property is confiscated in favour of Emperor Ferdinand II. and the Habsburgs.
  • 1618–1648 The period of the Thirty Years´ War brings the town to the brink of destruction. The economy is devastated, the castle is plundered and the ponds are destroyed. During the great fire of Třeboň in 1618, the town hall, Hradecká Gate and 83 houses are completely burnt. The troops of both the Estates and the imperial armies march through the town. In 1640 plague comes.
  • Until 1660 The town and the domain stay in the hands of the Habsburgs and Emperor Ferdinand III. and uncompromising recatholization takes place.

Under the rule of good masters (coat of arms of the House of Schwarzenberg)

  • 1660 The devastated town and domain are given hereditarily and, also as acknowledgement of merits in the wars against the Turks, to Jan Adolf of Schwarzenberg, a capable politician and diplomat.
  • the 18th century Under the reign of the Schwarzenbergs, new economic development of the whole domain begins, fish pond building, forestry and brewing develop. Many gamekeeper´s houses, manors and haylofts are built in the area which redefines the picturesque character of the landscape. Rich burghers rebuild their houses in the Baroque style. There is a reeve who maintains the law and safety in the town. He is subordinate to the portreeve and the council of aldermen or town councillors.
  • 12th July 1781 Owing to the carelessness of workers on the church tower, the greatest fire in the town´s history breaks out. In 24 hours 71 houses, the town hall and brewery burn down. In the church, the arch caves in and the tower falls down.
  • 20th October 1785 As part the Josephine reforms, the Augustinian Monastery is abolished and the premises are used for the offices of the forest authority.
  • 1793 The office of regulated magistrate is established in Třeboň. Lawyers are appointed by the state, the portreeve, councillors and aldermen are elected.
  • 1794 The town has a total of 271 houses, 181 burghers with burgher rights and approximately 3,000 inhabitants. The most numerous crafts are: weavers, butchers, cobblers, tailors, stonemasons, carpenters, stocking weavers and fishmongers.
  • 8th April 1833 The Třeboň theatre, one of the oldest town theatres in Bohemia, where in 1852 and 1856 Josef Kajetán Tyl, a famous Czech playwright, theatre producer and actor, performed is ceremoniously opened.
  • 1849 Třeboň becomes a district town, new offices are opened and the town´s prestige grows.
  • Latter half of the 19th century Building activity in the town culminates with the rebuilding of house Nr. 20 into a credit bank, the offices for the town administration, a new building for the town savings bank and a new appearance for the church tower at St. Giles. In 1868 the secondary school (gymnázium) is founded and in 1898 the school in front of the Budějovická Gate is built. Club and fellowship activities flourish, Občanská beseda (Civic Club), the Pěslav choir, Sbor dobrovolných hasičů (Group of voluntary firemen), Okrašlovací spolek (Embellishing Club) and many others are founded.
  • January 1870 The first train comes to Třeboň using the newly built railway from Prague to Vienna.
  • 1874–1877 The House of Schwarzenberg build an English park behind the Svět fish pond and their family tomb in the Neo-Gothic style.
  • 1881–1883 Teacher Václav Hucek builds a one-storey Neo-Renaissance spa building and with his peat and water healing baths and massages starts the modern glory of Třeboň spa, whose tradition goes back to the 15th century.
  • September 1884 Club of Třeboň Cyclists is founded.
  • September 1890 Great flood, Svět fish pond dam is ruptured.
  • Beginning of the 20th century The building of the secondary school (gymnázium), new train station, town park and Tyrš exercising ground are finished, an improved sewage system and new water piping are introduced. In 1909 the town gets a new landmark – the water tower designed by Jan Kotěra. Gradually, the streets are paved and new electric lamps replace the old gas ones. Below the Svět fish pond dam a new hatchery is built.
  • 1920s Thanks to the spa and the new train connection, Třeboň becomes a great place to live and a much sought-after summer resort. A new garden suburb for the local middle-class arises, and a new open-air swimming pool, Ostende, is built. Gradually, around the town new sporting places appear – ice rink, tennis courts, rowing club, football pitches etc. Třeboň´s Sokol (physical training organization) experiences the peak of its activity.
  • 1939–1940 The town buys and rebuilds the building of the peat spa near the Golden Canal.
  • 1940s WWII means persecution and executions for the people of Třeboň, local members of the Jewish community are deported to concentration camps where they are sentenced to death. The castle is confiscated by the Gestapo. In May 1945 Třeboň´s quarter Na Kopečku witnesses one of the last battles of the war.

Under the flag of two republics

  • 1950s New political circumstances change the face of the town as well as the lives of its inhabitants. National Administration (Národní správa) is assigned to the castle, the Schwarzenbergs are forced to leave, the properties are nationalised, industry enters the quiet town. New town quarters and schools are built, fish ponds come under state administration, Lesní závod (Forest Enterprise) Třeboň is founded, as well as JZD (United Agricultural Cooperative). Třeboň spa is also taken over by the state.
  • 1952 The Hydrobiological Laboratory of the Institute of Botany of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, is moved to Třeboň.
  • 1960 Laboratory of Algal Research is founded in Třeboň. District administration is dissolved. The town is awarded spa status.
  • 1968–1975 Construction of the new spa sanatorium Aurora on the bank of the Svět fish pond is in progress.
  • 1976 Historical town centre is proclaimed an urban conservation area.
  • 1977 Třeboň area is included in the network of UNESCO biosphere reserve as a special interest area.
  • 1979 Protected Landscape Area (CHKO) Třeboňsko is proclaimed and its administration founded.
  • 1980–1985 The by-pass road connection of Třeboň is opened, sports hall and rowing boat yard construction
    is finished, the housing development Hliník is improved. The Hydrobotanical Department of the Institute
    of Botany of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, is opened.
  • 1990s After the Velvet Revolution, a period of new cultural and social development begins. First contacts are established with the towns of Schrems and Gmünd. The Czech-Austrian club is in preparation. The Czech Scout organization Junák activities are restored, streets and squares are renamed.
  • 1991 First visit of president Václav Havel.
  • 1997 Třeboň is acclaimed Historic Town of the Year.
  • 2002 The great flood affects the Třeboň area.
  • 2003 Třeboň becomes a municipality with extended competence with an administrative district including 25 towns and villages with more than 25,000 inhabitants.
  • 2011 Třeboň and the South Bohemian Region are represented at the Holy See in Rome. Třeboňští pištci (a local flute ensemble) and Třeboň representatives take part in a general audience with Pope Benedikt XVI.
  • 2017 The Berta‘s Spa and Aurora Spa are united under the common brand Slatinné lázně Třeboň, s.r.o. (Peat Spa Třeboň, Ltd.)